Random interlude

Greetings Terrans, bit of a Rando Calrissian post for you today! I spotted a set of the rather lovely Lord of the Rings range markers in the FLGS in Dublin last Easter. They were put out by GW back in 2018 & are long out of production… I missed the boat back then, but they seemed like the perfect souvenir for me to pick up. They’ve been sat in their undercoats for a while, but I finally got around to painting them:

For those that are interested, we have from left to right / top to bottom:

Gandalf the White’s Staff (12″)

Gimli’s Axe (5″)

A Morgul-blade (3″)

Sting (5″)

Gandalf’s sword Glamdring (6″)

Aragorn’s sword Anduril (8″)

Witch-king of Angmar’s sword (10″)


They were fun wee things to do & I’m now thinking about how best to display them but still have them accessible to game with… any ideas please post them below!

Realm of Warcry; Chapter 2, Intro

Greetings Terrans, I hope this finds you well. If you’ve been keeping up with my blog this year you’ve probably got the gist of this Realm of Warcry thingy I’ve gotten in to, but as here’s a quick recap.

Firstly, the (late 80s) Realm of Chaos books are awesome books, especially for randomly generating a Chaos Warband, but the period models are expensive, the rules of that era clunky, and basically I never got around to doing RoC warbands back in the day. New rulesets like Warcry are very slick, and suitable models are readily available and easy to convert, so I figured a mash-up of the old books for warband generation, and the new Warcry rules and minis would be a winning combo. My first warband using this method was that of Scynir the Architect, Champion of Tzeentch, and was an absolute blast to work on.

I’ve taken Scynir as far as I want to for the time being, so I wanted to start a new band, but this time I managed to convince 3 friends to join in with me! We’ve borrowed a bit from the whole ‘tale of 4 warlords’ thing, and have agreed to roll up one Champion each, along with 5 rolls on the Followers tables. This gives us six ‘rolls’ to paint, one per month, starting in September. We agreed to not be super-strict on sticking to the rolls as we’re all busy people & didn’t necessarily have the time or energy to make and paint anything too weird and wonderful, but we did all stay fairly close. We all either rolled or chose Nurgle as our power, and we all rolled up our total warband so we could split boxes of minis, kick around ideas and so on. The rolling ‘rules’ were that the Champion got one roll on the ‘Attributes’ table and one ‘Gifts of Nurgle’ roll. The five ‘Followers’ rolls could be rerolled if it got repetitive or if you rolled something you just didn’t fancy doing. The scene was set for the fun to begin!

First things first, this is what I rolled up:

Champion: Chaos Dwarf Wizard, Moronic & with Biting Tongue

Followers: 3 Human deserters, 3 Pestigors, 2 Pestigors, 6 Orcs, 1 human mage with 3 cultists (full disclosure, rolls 4 and 5 were also Pestigors, but I rerolled because I wanted some variety)

Next step for me was to buy what I needed, & get things built & primed. The 6 month challenge spans winter, and I didn’t want to risk a crappy undercoat. Then it was just a case of painting my Champion in the month of September…

It gives me great pleasure to introduce Morbin Festertongue, the Thrice-Infested Corruptor of the Secrets of Sigyorn!


I converted this guy out of a Fyreslayer ‘Auric Runemaster’ with bits from one of the Wurmspat warriors & the Plaguebearer kit, plus some gribbles from the old Possessed kit. The Biting Tongue (gift of Nurgle) was easy enough to represent, but the Moronic attribute was a bit of a head scratcher… In the end I kinda settled on him being infested with some nasty parasite that exerts a measure of control over the host, essentially putting poor Morbin in the passenger seat at times. I’m not sure if that eye-tentacle thingy really gets this idea across, but that was the intent :-/

Believe it or not, this is the first Nurgle thing I have ever painted up, and boy, did I have fun! I do enjoy a messy painting style as most of you know, so this was right up my street.

Anyway, that’s all for now, plenty more to look forward to on this project! Cheers :-)

Blackstone Fortress part 1

Greetings Terrans, how goes it? Still playing catch-up with y’all in terms of painted minis, so it’s another photo dump I’m afraid. First up is a small warband that was cooked up to play over at Heresyofus – one Marine, one psyker, two cultists, one ‘normal’ sized Daemon and a small imp-level Daemon:


I re-used one of my found-Daemons and one of my Legion of the Damned Marines, but the cultists (Blackstone Fortress – Cultists of the Abyss) & psyker (Blackstone Fortress – core set) are new, as is the wee Daemon fella (WH Underworlds – Eyes of the Nine warband):


The Daemon was fun, playing about with metallic colours rather than the more typical primarys that most people go with (they are supposed to be made of ‘magic’, so it made sense to me). Having painted up two of the cultists from the Cultists of the Abyss expansion, I chipped away at the remaining six in the intervening period:


And seeing as I was on a Cultist roll, I figured I should do the OG Cultists from the Blackstone Fortress core game (the ones on the right are slightly converted to de-duplicate a little):


Oh, and this numpty got painted up as well:


Group photo of the latest batch:


And with that, I think you are all up to date on everything I’ve been painting in the background! I’ll keep chipping away at Blackstone Fortress over the next however long, but next up will be the launch of a brand new Nurgle waband – catch you next time!