Conan – Characters 3:

Greetings Terrans, it’s another shorty today – I have not one Bêlit, but two versions of her! First up, the main version that came with the game:


Next, we have the ‘savage’ version of her (a stretch goal IIRC):


Both were painted in my now-usual method of Contrast base coat followed by some careful highlighting. The models themselves are nice enough – ‘regular Bêlit’ is a bit soft, and has a shonky spear & a lean that no amount of steam could correct, but ‘savage’ Bêlit is a pretty decent mini. That said, they both obviously suffer from a very limited wardrobe situation, but as mentioned before, the models are guided by the original writing, so it is what it is.

Here’s the pair of them together:


And that’s me until next time!

Conan – Characters 2:

Greetings Terrans, it’ll be another short one today – I’m keeping the ball rolling with my Conan characters, and have another pair to show you. First off, we have this guy – apparently he is ‘Khosatral Khel’, the physical manifestation of a demon (or god) in one of Howard’s short stories:

Clearly Mr. Khel is a fan of the ‘Tren look’, and all that muscle allowed me to have good fun with the paint. I worked through Darkoath Flesh, through Cadian fleshtone & Kislev flesh, and with a bit of shading back down with Reikland Fleshshade. A few more shades were used on the face & for the veins. I think this will be my go-to for Caucasian skin for a while, as I like how the tones play out across the whole model. The rest was pretty much my now-standard ‘Contrast basecoat, layered highlights’ approach.


Next we have another baddie – ‘Akivasha, the woman who never died’… Basically, she’s a vampire:

Akivasha is another model lifted straight out of the book – i.e. an under-dressed femme fatal. Again, I’m not getting hung up on that, but just enjoyed the process of painting her. I used the same skin recipe as I did for Khosatral Khel, with a bit more shading around the eyes & leaving out the ‘roider veins.


Here’s the devious duo together:

You can see what a big bugger Khosatral Khel is!!


And that’s it for this week! I’m enjoying working my way through the characters – they are pretty decent minis for the most part, (though there are a few stinkers), so more to share soon.

Conan – Characters 1

Greetings Terrans, I’ve been on a bit of a go-slow since my last post, but I did manage to paint up a couple of the character figures from the Monolith Conan set. First up we have this guy:

Apparently he is ‘Ageera the Witch-finder’ & was a really enjoyable paint. I used the opportunity to experiment a bit with the skin tone, working from Contrast Snakebite Leather, through to ‘Tau Light Ochre’ on the highlights. The remainder was pretty straight forward, but it all came together nicely I think.


Secondly, I finished this lass:

Unfortunately I can’t find any reference to who she is – I’m almost certain she is from the Conan set, but I’m damned if I can find her! (If anyone knows, please educate me in the comments below).

**Edit – I found her – she’s called ‘Gitara’**

I approached the skin in the same way as for Ageera, but I went an extra level in the highlighting & included some Cadian Fleshtone on the extremes. She has a bit of duck-face going on, but she was fun to paint, with the blending on the skin being the biggest part of the job. Obviously she’s pretty scantily clad – a bit tone deaf these days but she represents a literary depiction from a much earlier time. I’m not getting caught up in all that, and am just enjoying the painting for what it is… fair warning, there will be a few more models like this in the coming weeks.


And that’s it for this post – short but sweet! More characters to follow.