Greetings Terrans, I trust you are all well. I have a bit of a different theme to this post – no fun RT Orks to share at the moment, but a more grimdark vibe from the Inq28 side of the hobby fence. The background to this is that I was lucky enough to have Mark from Heresyofus pop over on the last weekend of September, and he brought his beautiful Stylites board with him:
As you can see, the board is a stunning piece of work, but Mark and I appreciate that not everyone would be in a position to devote the time or space to such a specific piece of scenery. As a result, Mark gave me my own set of 20 Stylites, with the simple instruction of ‘go do something with them & showcase a different way of using the pillars’… No pressure!
So, me being me, I approached the task with maximum flexibility in mind. Naturally, I wanted my Stylites to look like they belonged in the caverns underneath The Chapel, but equally, I wanted them to look at home in an underhive sump, or towering over the ruins of the frozen city of Felstad… I also wanted them to reflect the tortured reality of the battlefields of the Mortal Realms, or even provide a chaotic backdrop to the far-flung battlefields of the 41st Millennium… In short, I wanted them to work anywhere and everywhere that I like play toy soldiers.
As a result, I decided to base my pillars individually, and to integrate other scenic items into the bases to give them some utility beyond the Stylites game itself. After some thought, I went with the Shardwrack Spines for the basing detail, and I made this choice for a number of reasons. Firstly, the spines have a lot of height, and I felt this would work well with the tall columns of the Stylites. Secondly, Stylites is a truly lethal game – one slip and you’re dead, and the Shardwrack Spines look like falling on them would be believably terminal. Thirdly, they have rules in 40k (and I think in AoS?), and fourthly, they look like an interesting kit to work with! Decision made, I got to cutting and fitting the bases, and cleaning up the mould lines… this took bloody ages, but was worth doing properly, and eventually, I got to this point:
Now I just needed to decide how to paint the buggers… I had a vague notion of going for some colour, but I didn’t want to go to crazy-town like on the box art. I settled for a subdued purply-grey, with gold used to pick out the nodules and a little Nihilakh Oxide around the cracks… the idea is that these spines are mineral rather than organic, but also that they can work either way if the game demands it. The rest of the base was done in a fairly generic way, while the Stylites themselves were washed & drybrushed in an ad hoc and gunky style. I’ve managed to complete five so far – see what you think:
I have the other 15 Stylites built, basecoated and drybrushed, so I just need to add the wash & detail. My plan is to do this in and around the ongoing work on my Space Orks project, and once I’m done, I’m going to set up some photos to showcase the Stylites in a few different contexts. Happy days!
Anyway, that’s it for now – I’ll catch you all soon with more Orks and more Stylites to share! Have a good one dudes :-)